September 12, 2009

The Security Envelope Quilt Project

I have been contemplating this art project for awhile. I have been collecting security envelopes even longer. The other night, I ran into a friend and fellow artist, Stephanie Ritchie. We were at all places, the fairgrounds in a building with about 500 other mothers buying and selling at a children's consignment sale.

We laughed, we cried and in the middle of all the chaos around us we shared our passions. We talked about our passion for our parents, she had just recently dealt with the passing of her father. We talked about our passion for our children and our spouses. Then we talked about our passion for art.

But for both of us, the passion for art was just out of reach. We were stuck in, as we discussed, "The curse of the 3's". You know, how everyone says bad things happen in 3's. These passions by no means were bad things. It was just our other passions were cursing, if you will, our passion for being an artist.

Basically I'm saying passions are prioritized and we become daughters first and wives second and most importantly third, mothers. The artist in us never is fully realized because of the curse of the 3's.

So here I am again, trying to find self security.

I really want to be an artist, not only for the passion of being an artist, but for the security of knowing that I am more than the curse of the 3's. Just as my Great-Granny Dick, sewed evey one inch block of a quilt by hand, she was a daughter, a wife, a mother and she broke the curse and was a quilt artist.

I will attempt to break the curse of the 3's with The Security Envelope Quilt Project. Each day I am going to make one paper quilt block from one inch squares of security envelopes. I will scan and post them here on this blog, along with my other thoughts and musings. Hopefully, all of this will provide for me and maybe others a place on the edge of security.

No comments:

Post a Comment