September 20, 2009

The First Security Envelope Quilt Blocks



So here are the first paper quilt blocks that I have finished. I think I need to explain a little bit more on how I'm "making a quilt". This won't be the kind of quilt you can throw on your bed. It is going to be a mixed media art piece. I'll be creating quilt blocks by gluing pieces of paper from the security envelopes in my collection.

The other day when I was in the craft store I saw fabric in which you can print from a regular home ink jet printer. It showed how you could use photos to print onto fabric to use for various craft projects. It would be a little more labor intensive and time intensive for me to actually make a real fabric quilt. But maybe a future project?

For now as you can see, my first paper quilt blocks are a little rough. I'm using a 2 inch square paper punch. The edges of the paper are a little rough. When I glued them onto my larger square they did not quite fit altogether. I am going to have to experiment a little more, but that is really fun part.

I also came across some scrapbook articles that showed how you can use a sewing machine to add decorative stitches to paper. I did get out my sewing machine, but it was a big "No Go". My husband bought this sewing machine for me about 2 years ago for Christmas. Since that time I have only used it once to make a costume based on the movie Troll 2. I worked and worked trying to get the machine to sew. But either it was operator error or machine error and the bottom bobbin kept getting all hung up and after nearly 2 hours I gave up!

I'm going back to the glue for now, it's easy, breezy and of course the current keeper of my sanity and security.

No comments:

Post a Comment