August 25, 2009

The Need for a New Security Blanket

I know it sounds a little cheeky, and the fact that I work for Social Security, makes the whole definition of security for me take on so many different forms. During an average day at work I probably say the word security at least 500 times, and that is not exaggerating. For a normal, secure person probably no problems, but for me too cathartic.
Whether it is answering the phone or explaining the different “security” programs that are available at the Social Security Administration. I probably utter the word security at least once if not twenty times in every conversation with every individual that I speak with every day. If I don’t utter the actual word it is probably contained in one of the many bureaucratic acronyms like SSI, SSDI, or SSN. So it may get hidden in my office’s coded language, but it is still decipherable the same and it's name is security.

Now don’t get me wrong I’m not complaining, I actually rather like my job. Some days better than others, but overall I relish in being the old grumpy government employee having to deal daily with the tax paying and non tax paying citizens of my country. But unlike the old guard, i.e. Baby Boom Generation, I am the kinder gentler government employee. I am a Generation X’r that cares, insert huge oxymoron snarky smile :)

However, security or the word security is very difficult. I like most human people have insecurities. For me personally I probably have more insecurities than the normal person. So I'm always on the look out for a distraction to take my mind off myself. So that is why this project I’m contemplating, might do some good for me and distract me for long enough. But to get my mind in order, first, I need more envelopes and then a really good blog, placed in cyberspace securely.

Next time:
The Security Envelope Quilt Project

No comments:

Post a Comment