August 25, 2009

Security and the Blanket

Much like my 2 year old daughter’s “Blankie“, my security was currently coming surreptitiously in the form of a security envelope.

I fondly remember my own security blanket from my childhood. My mom would bring it out every so often when it got chilly here in Florida.

It was no ordinary store bought blanket it was a handmade quilt. It was called a “Postage Stamp” quilt. It was made for my mother by my Great Great Granny Dick The quilt came to her as she left home for college in Abilene, Texas.



For those not into the traditional quilting arts will see only pieces of fabric sewn together in various shapes to create a blanket. But among many, such as myself, quilts are revered. Quilts gain not only sentimental value but can even gain monetary value over the years.

Quilts have all have different names based on how the blocks are put together. So the “postage Stamp” quilt looks just as it sounds. Small one inch squares of fabrics sewn together. Today, the “Postage Stamp” quilt could be considered an eco-friendly- green quilt. This type of quilt was made of recycled little scraps of fabric. The fabric was either left over from other quilts or home sewn clothes or were just bits and pieces passed from one neighbor to another.


We had several other quilts but this “Postage Stamp” quilt was my favorite. I loved looking at each and every individual square, trying to find other squares that were the same. But Granny Dick was a master quilter and had made many quilts, it was very hard to find the same fabric square anywhere else on the quilt. Yet some how all of the different pieces fit. The overall presentation was not only fine craftsmanship but gave me a sense of beautiful security.

Up Next:
The Need for a New Security Blanket

No comments:

Post a Comment