November 11, 2010

The Clock and Time

mSo for some weird reason I have thought about time lately. More specifically how children learn to tell time and how they process in their young minds the concept of time. One question I ask in my job taking children's disability applications involves asking parents can their child tell time. The parents standard answer is "only on a digital clock." it seems that their answer is making this a handicap for the child. Maybe it really is a handicap. These children are only witnessing time in a linear fashion. They are missing a much older concept of time as cyclical. A round clock with hands requires a learned skill to read. It also presents the concept that time is round just as the earth is round. I'm sure that many will d disagree but so did the many that believed the earth was flat or that man really never walked on the moonn. I have not studied much on quantum physics but the little bit I be have read gave me a little understanding in how we pass through time.

No comments:

Post a Comment