December 31, 2009

"Give Peace a Chance"
5"x 5"
Security Envelope Quilt Block
I used three different envelopes for this quilt block pattern. It was made of green triangle security envelopes from my bank for the border, blue hatch marks security envelopes for the background, and a gray/white hatch mark security envelope for the dove. This type of quilt block is typically considered an applique quilt block in the fabric quilting arts. I thought it was an appropriate New Year's Eve art project.
Earlier in the evening we went to downtown Pensacola for some of the New Year's Block Party festivities. The old man, the CoCo puff and I roamed the downtown streets. We went to the Dog House Deli for a great hot dog dinner and then dessert of funnel cake and pink cotton candy from the street food vendors. We were there at 8:00 when they lit up the Pelican, which is Pensacola's "Time's Square Ball Drop". We were home before 9:00 and everyone went to bed except me. I stayed up to do the quilt block.
They say what you are doing at midnight on New Year's Eve is what you will be doing all year long. Doing crafts in 2010 would make me very happy.
This week was very stressful at work. But I did have one interesting telephone interview. We will call him Preston. Preston was applying for disability and alleged having congestive heart failure. He was very personable and flirted throughout the interview. He played harmonica in a blues band. I was able to get all the information I needed for his application during the hour and half interview while he told me about his band, his children and grandchildren.
It was such a relief, from the constant despair and hopeless baggage that my clients typically dump on me. Preston may be just as hopeless and in need of financial assistance, but he at least took the time to be nice and make light of his situation.
Sometimes you have just have to laugh or otherwise you just end up crying all of the time. Preston taught me this very valuable life lesson this week. Just another week from the edge of security.

No comments:

Post a Comment