December 24, 2009

Christmas Came Early and Ideas for the New Year

"Star Pattern"
Size: 5"x5"
Red Salvation Army Security Envelope mounted on a green security envelope

A couple of days ago, someone, perhaps Santa, left a gallon size ziplock bag on my front porch filled with security envelopes. Good Old St. Nick was a tad early, but I'm really glad because I was having a miserable day and cutting up the envelopes cheered me up.

I came across a couple of real beauties in the security envelope world. Another red one!!!
I did a big dancey dance and my little heart skipped a beat or two or three. This particular red one was from the Salvation Army. So as you see above, I immediately paired it with a green security envelope to create a star quilt block for a Christmas theme.
I've been thinking more about my art and why I really have taken on this project and where I am going with it. More or less it is for relaxation. My 9 to 5 work is very stressful and I need a diversion at night to clear my mind. For whatever reason, cutting up the envelopes and categorizing them and organizing them relaxes me. Some people may have a glass of wine, others may go for a run, but for me scissors, paper and a glue stick provide me peace. My current insurance has decided I can only see my psychologist for 8 visits in the next year, so I'm going to have to come up with my own way of dealing with life.
In the new year I would like more people to see my work through my blog and perhaps in a gallery night show in downtown Pensacola. I would also like to kick it up a notch and get a full size security envelope quilt made as well as some other pieces I have been sketching in my journal.
Tomorrow I will be getting my own studio/art space. My husband is giving up his office space in our house so I can move everything from the dining room table into my own room/art studio. I am really excited and hope to be more productive in my artistic endeavors or at the very least rid myself of some of my daily stress.
Thanks again to my secret Santa and if one is reading this blog and you have any junk mail security envelopes send them my way.
And here is hoping that the new year brings my life filled with lots of love, good health and day by day a little more security.

1 comment:

  1. Hi H,
    I'm keeping an eye out for unusual envelopes for you. I've never seen red ones! I love the pattern you made above!
    And now your own office space too! Thumbs up!
    -Michelle

    ReplyDelete